Friday, June 26, 2009

"Beauty"


Once someone asked me, “What’s the most beautiful thing that you have done in your life?”, and I really could not think of an answer to that simple question. Today when I trace back to the same question, which not only asks about the idea of beauty for an individual but also the meaning of a very abstract noun called “beauty”, I realize how naive are we when we actually try getting into the realms of beauty, whether it be mental, physical or beyond both and try to quantify the limitless.

Isn't beauty as boundless as the thoughts coming to a free mind with no strands of inhibitions we generally carry about people? I remember reading Arundhati Roy, “The God of Small Things” where “Ammu” makes forbidden love with “Velutha”. An upper caste divorcee, “Ammu” and the untouchable, “Velutha”, meet in the obscurity of the dark in the verity of their love, to denounce the inhibitions of an esteemed society which just devours on the idiosyncrasy of two people with no other crime committed than being in “Love”.

For me, they are just two people in love, not bound by anything else than the same.
This is beauty for me!

And the most beautiful thing I have ever done in my life, is being in arms of the person, I had a lot of inhibitions about, which I finally let go off, to come to a state of mystic beauty, where I felt being like the wind touching and caressing the lone beechnut tree aimlessly and shamelessly!

No comments: